Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Walk In The Field Part 21 - Buckbrush

Some notes on what the field is like mid-July.

Started walking in/around the creek/ravine area.



Big old oak trees down there that I've never looked at that closely. The branches, trunks look pretty rough. I'm not sure if they are stressed or just old. The leaves looked shiny new.



Lots of fruits, berries, blossoms, etc. all over, in general.





I can hear, more than see, lots of bird activity. I can hear chickadees and I would dearly love a good photo of that bird. I'm seeing goldfinches almost every time I'm out in the field now. A lot more active now than they were.





(Goldfinch closeups here.)

Lots of buckbrush blooming along the creek.
Common Names: Western snowberry, Buckbrush, Wolfberry
Species: Symphoricarpos occidentalis Hook.
Family: Caprifoliaceae - Honeysuckle Family





The coneflowers (purple, yellow, etc) are everywhere. The field is now covered with them.



Word Note:
ravine (canyon vs gorge vs ravine)
vs
gully (or gulley)
vs
creek (stream vs creek vs brook vs rivulet)

Another nice field view. Looking North.

No comments: