Thursday, July 09, 2009

Walk In The Field Part 18 - Unknown Purple Flower

Took a quick snapshot of this one thinking I'd come back to it and/or find more. Neither happened, so this is all I have.



Ah yes, the ever present bugs. I might do a post(s) devoted just to them, cuz tons of those out there.

Aren't those flower "curlies" gorgeous, though.



Fuller views for future id purposes.



Just one purple dot in a sea of grass.



UPDATE: 19 Jul 09

Have lots of good pics on these flowers now, but the above is still my fav.

I think the plant id is...

Blue lettuce:

ndsu
Common Name: Blue lettuce
Species: Lactuca oblongifolia Nutt.
Synonym: Lactuca pulchella (Pursh) DC
Family: Asteraceae - Sunflower Family

npwrc

google images

Photos taken 31 Jul 09:

The leaves are turning a pretty red on some of the Blue Lettuce plants now.



Shows the different blossoming stages:

No comments: