Friday, July 24, 2009

Walk In The Field Part 24 - Bergamot



I thought whatever this stuff is, I hope it's something good, cuz we have a lot of it.
I found out it is Wild bergamot (Monarda fistulosa)
Lamiaceae (The Mint Family)
Other names: Horsemint, Beebalm

Many plants so lots of variety and different blooming stages. A lot more impressive, pretty, and interesting, studying it close up via my photos.





There are "diamonds" in there when it opens up.


Blossom Closeups:




Mr. Bumble sure liked it:




Blossom "leafy" Closeup:


It's supposed to be fragrant/aromatic. I sure didn't notice it, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to scents/odors.
I'll have to go out there and sniff it--the foliage that is, not the blossoms. ;)

Leafy Closeup:


Quote from npwrc link above:
Plant uses and other interesting facts: Plains Indians made tea from this plant to treat intestinal ailments and skin eruptions. Foliage used to scent closets, drawers, pillows etc. Also used in the popular Earl Gray tea.

Wow. Scent my drawers, make some tea.
Put some Purple coneflower stuff (Echinacea)in there too.
Right from my own field. Who knew.

npwrc2

Full Plant View:

No comments: