Monday, July 13, 2009

Killdeer



Another one for my bird photography library.
Got several really good ones of this guy.

Kind of a silly nervous thing.

At first my photos looked like he had only one leg. I did not see that when I was observing as I knew he had two legs. But he stood there on one leg for several shots. I have no idea what that was about. lol

And he just would not fly away as I got closer and closer.
Finally, he/she hopped off the rock and started skittering around.

It sure is way more fun experiencing, observing, and photographing these birds than it is just reading about them. I guess I'd say the same for nature in general. WAY better if I get to "know" it first hand.

enature
cornell

NOTE: Cornell has an very nice photo of the killdeer in flight and another one with the wings really spread out. How did the photographer get that one, I wonder.

I was wondering what their feet look like.
Google Images
3 toes, no webbing, short claws.

NOTE:
Standing on one leg is typical resting posture of (some/all?) birds, evidently.
Golden's Birds of North America 1983 Ed., now 2001 Ed.
Page 108 Behaviour of Shorebirds:
9. Dunlin standing on one foot, a typical resting posture of shorebirds.

No comments: