Sunday, June 28, 2009

Walk In The Field Part 5 - Yellow Flower






What struck me about this flower was the 8 point star on a lot of them. It just really stood out on some that were not opened all the way.

Not all of them had 8 points, however.



This next one is all open (center and outer), not as dramatic or interesting.



And yet another one, closed center, open outer, yet the star shape is still prominent.



And here we have the full length view:


This one was difficult to track down cuz I could not find it listed at npwrc.

I think that's because it is a not a native plant.
It's an alien! lol

Anyhoo...somehow I landed at this interesting site that offers to sell you a book where you can learn botany in a day.
Sounds good. lol
It is highly rated and cheaper at Amazon.
All his books are highly rated. I might have to buy some of those.

I figured the yellow flower was in the aster family so I went to that section.

Scroll down, and viola! There it is.
Identified as a Tragopogon spp., Salsify or "oyster plant."

So then, I did find a write up about it at the Fargo
ndsu ag site.
Common Name: Goat's beard, Western salsify
Species: Tragopogon dubius Scop.
Synonym: Tragopon major Jacq.
Family: Asteraceae - Sunflower Family
Origin: Introduced species from Eurasia.

So I'm happy. It grows in North Dakota. Salsify, Tragopogon--close enough.

NOTE: Pics taken Fri 26 Jun 09. On Sun 28 Jun 09 they were gone. Not a yellow flower in sight. It was windy Saturday. Stormed Friday night?

No comments: