Sunday, June 28, 2009

Walk In The Field Part 1 - Purple

I walked in the field and took tons of pics of things in the grass. I didn't see one coneflower this year. I'm surprised by that. Previous years pics were in July, so I'll look again later.

I tried to identify the plants when I could.

Purple flowers:



Earlier in June I saw some that had mostly one color, a red purple. Now they are mulicolored and very pretty. They are like a clump here and there in the field.



I would put this one in the Fabaceae (The Bean Family) section. But I didn't see anything that really nailed it for sure. The flower petals part looks kinda like purple locoweed, which can be toxic to cattle, but a plant view doesn't look the same.

Here's my process for ND plant id.

MAP
Start Here
Plants
Prairie Wildflowers and Grasses of North Dakota
Spring Wildflowers
Purple locoweed

OR
Start Here
Plants
Native Wildflowers of the North Dakota Grasslands
Lists the Families here.
(Note: NATIVE. If it's an alien, it's not listed. More on that later.)

Under Fabaceae is
Purple Locoweed (Oxytropis lambertii)

Those two pics look totally different to me.
So, google it.

Now things start to look more like what I have...or not. lol

This one shows hairy texture and an ant.



This one shows some of the pretty bokeh I got straight out of the camera and cropped, no post-processing.



Zoom in a little from the full plant view:

No comments: