Saturday, October 02, 2010

Zoo2 - Cat Family - Felidae

The star of the show was a White Bengal Tiger (Panthera tigris) because she(?) came right up to the viewing window and gave me several poses for my photo shoot.



Bengal Tiger (Panthera tigris):


Golden Tabby Tiger (Panthera tigris):

Seemed kind of out of it. Just stood there in front of the picture window and starred. I could put my face right up to the glass and she/he wouldn't move. Well, I certainly got up close and saw detail that way. ;)
Zoo sign said:
"There are no known golden tabby tigers currently in the wild."
"Sometimes called the 'strawberry tiger,' due to the coloration, this is a color variation of the Bengal tiger, and not a separate species."
"Records indicate that there are less than 30 golden tabby tigers in the world."

All three Bengals are on loan from T.I.G.E.R.S..

Bengal Tiger NatGeo
Bengal Tiger Wiki
White Tiger Wiki
"This coloration is caused by a recessive gene."

No comments: