Sunday, October 17, 2010

Suburban Girl - Movie



Suburban Girl (2007)
Taglines:
Rewriting her dream in the big city.
Sometimes the ending is only the beginning.

Another ShowTime freebie.
I found it channel surfing and surprisingly liked it.
I guess it never was released to theatres, just available on DVD.
Stars Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) and Alec Baldwin.

Supposed to be based on the book:
The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing, by Melissa Bank.
But the book sure didn't sound much like the movie.
goodreads
fantasticfiction

NOTE: Watched the movie again and in the opening credits it says the movie is adopted from two of the short stories found in the book:
"My Old Man" and "The Worst Thing a Suburban Girl Could Imagine."

MUSIC
Here are some of the songs that I liked from the movie.

Charm Attack, by Leona Naess
About 15:30 into the movie when she's shopping and looking at the leather pants.

Space Age Love Song, performed by Abra Moore, which I could not find anywhere on the Net.
About 34:50 when they are driving down the road.
Here's the song performed by A Flock of Seagulls

Cold Hearts by Club 8
About 1:15:15 when the black car drives away.

No Fear by Melissa Tallon
Plays at the end of the movie.

Videos:
Trailer
That dress LOL
The End

Easy enough to make my own "Beginning:"



UPDATE

Did more digging on some things from this movie.

1. The "proximity without intimacy" Dante quote.
In the book it is just stated and assumed as fact. (Short story "My Old Man") In the movie it's questioned. Brett (Jane in book) says to Archie, "Dante never said that." Archie's holding a Dante Inferno book and says, "You're right." (19:36 into the movie.)



Try as I might I can't find the origin of that phrase anywhere. The references online are all parroting the same thing. I think it might be an urban legend quote.

(I thought the movie was WAY better than the short stories in the book, BTW.)

2. Doré Illustrations.
One of the Inferno ebooks at Gutenberg is illustrated by Gustave Doré.
Click on Doré and it shows a bunch of works illustrated by him. Catholic-resources.org has HUGE sizes of the Bible story illustrations, for close-up detail views.


3. The car.
My favorite scene in the movie is when Brett and Archie go for a ride in that car and Abra Moore is singing Space Age Love Song.


So what kind of car is that?
At imdb somebody said they thought it was a
Morgan Roadster Plus 8.
A British car, but there is a
USA site also. Must have to adapt them to US standards/restrictions maybe? Anyway, it's fun to look at all the Morgan cars. I like them. I'd love to test drive one. Ha. (Isis Imports, Northern California.)

4. Alec Baldwin
I don't know all that much about Alec Baldwin, but I found mention of some of his personal troubles. It makes the movie scenes about Archie's daughter more poignant.
I plan to read Baldwin's book, A Promise to Ourselves.
Also, I found an Actor's Studio episode of him at
YouTube.
YouTube - Inside the actors studio - Alec Baldwin (part 1)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. This is one of my favorite movies because I love classic literature and May/December relationship stories...as well as Alec Baldwin. I have seen this movie probably 11 times, and I have always wondered about Dante's definition of hell; I could never find it in the book either. Also, I have to agree, one of my favorite scenes is when Archie and Brett are riding in his classic Morgan Roadster. Another one of my favorite scenes is the little bantering they exchange when Brett first meets Archie -- he references to her being named after Brett Ashley in "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway, which is an amazing book, and she references to him being named after Cary Grant (his real name was Archie), which is one of my all time favorite actors. Such a great and pleasant movie!