Monday, August 17, 2009

Telescopes, Astronomy, and Birds, Oh My

Google Excursions.

I returned to the American avocet "pond" site and took a bunch more photos and have some birds to id.

I was looking thru my bird books first.
Birds of the Dakotas,
and
Golden's Birds of North America 1983 Ed.,
(now 2001 Ed.)



Found this little tidbit on page 108 Behaviour of Shorebirds:
9. Dunlin standing on one foot, a typical resting posture of shorebirds.

Googled: one leg resting posture birds.

Found:
Sleep behaviour and sleep postures.
Interesting read.

Followed link to two of his friends.
Found out Matt just started an
astronomy blog.

He uses Stellarium, a free open source planetarium software and links to
deep astronomy.

Deep Astronomy recommends
Dobsonian Orion SkyQuest Classics 8 inch telescope ($330.00)
OR
Meade LightBridge 8 inch telescope ($399.00).

AND also uses this little handy dandy
Edmund Scientific Astroscan 2001 which actually looks most appealing to me.

The Astroscan is still available here for $199.00.
Full review here.



From birds to sleep patterns to astronomy to software to telescopes.
Now where was I? lol
Oh yeah, got some birds to id...

No comments: