Thursday, August 20, 2009

My First Prime Lens



Bought my first prime.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens
Review

I needed to buy some portable hard drives (Seagate FreeAgent Go) and ended up throwing in the prime lens with the order.

I put the prime on my XSi and tried it out.
Took a pic of my other two lenses (f2).



The bad purple fringing was a bit of a shock.



I've never seen that level of fringing with my XSi and kit lens or tele--ever.
I took the picture of the prime with my kit lens same scenario--ZERO fringing.

I removed the fringing with Paint Shop Pro 9.



It didn't take me long to put the tele back on my camera, cuz I had to take pictures of the bullsnake.
I'm not used to being so close to my subject for a closeup (prime).
With the tele, the minimum focusing distance (MFD) is about 5 feet (4.9) so it's always stay back, and zoom in, and I can get a much closer pic with my tele than I can with this prime.
Prime MFD is 1.5 (feet).

Okay, so first impressions of this prime weren't great.
I wanted to try a prime and I do plan on using it for low light situations.
I thought long and hard before choosing this particular lens over other ones.
I think I'm just still overly in love with my tele at the moment.

A few outdoor shots with the prime:

Goldflame spirea (f8):


Ivory Halo Dogood leaves (f8):

No comments: