Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blackbirds

Tons of blackbirds and or grackles? at the roadside waterhole. Here are some of my favorites.

Typical scenery:


I think this next one is a female redwing blackbird. I like the water bokeh background.


The next one with the baby could be a Brewer's Blackbird? Not sure.



Brewer's Blackbird:
cornell
"Brewer’s Blackbird is a glossy, almost liquid combination of black, midnight blue, and metallic green. Females are a staid brown, without the male’s bright eye or the female Red-winged Blackbird’s streaks."
enature
"Male is solid black with purplish-blue iridescent head and yellow eye."

To me, Grackles can look very similar to Brewer's Blackbirds depending on the lighting.

I like the pose on this next one:


npwrc
Breeding Birds of North Dakota
Family Icteridae:
• Baltimore oriole (Icterus galbula galbula)
• Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)
• Brewer's blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus)
• Brown-headed cowbird (Molothrus ater)
• Bullocks oriole (Icterus galbula bullockii)
• Common grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)
• Orchard oriole (Icterus spurius)
• Red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
• Western meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta)
• Yellow-headed blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)

On my blog, I have:
Bobolinks
Brown-headed cowbird

Common Grackle:
female
male

Red-winged blackbird
Western meadowlark

Can't believe I don't have any orioles yet! Hope to get some.
I've seen yellow-headed blackbirds, just don't have any good pics of them.
I think I've seen orioles too, but not sure.
Maybe I'll organize/tag these into bird families some day as my bird photo list expands further.

No comments: