Sunday, June 20, 2010

Damselfly



Damselfly.
My companion saw it, I didn't, so I handed him the camera with tele and he took the picture.
Nice one too.

For ID,
I got it drilled down this far:
bugguide
Phylum Arthropoda - Arthropods
Class Insecta - Insects
Order Odonata - Dragonflies and Damselflies
Suborder Zygoptera - Damselflies
Family Coenagrionidae - Narrow-winged Damselflies
Genus Enallagma - American Bluets

Possibilities:
Species carunculatum - Tule Bluet
Species civile - Familiar Bluet
Species clausum - Alkali Bluet
Species exsulans - Stream Bluet
Species praevarum - Arroyo Bluet

All things considered (area, photos, etc.) my guess would be:
Alkali Bluet

npwrc
Dragonflies and Damselflies (Odonata) of the United States
Odonata of North Dakota



(Dragonflies and Damselflies of West Virginia Site - GOOD diagrams)
Damselfly Anatomy

Dragonfly Anatomy

No comments: