Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Walk In The Field Part 14 - Scarlet Globemallow



This is yet another tiny flower, low to the ground and buried in the grass, so rather difficult to get a good pic of. I took a lot of pics and finally got some good ones. The only reason why I notice it's even there is because the orange color really pops if I'm looking near the ground in the tall grass.

Here's a clump of it.



The leaves look glittery in this next picture. Very pretty. I sure didn't notice that out in the field. I don't know exactly what that is. I should take some samples home with me and examine more closely. They could be hairy and moist and the sun is making them glisten/glitter maybe.



I wouldn't call the color scarlet, which is a red near orange on the color wheel. It is definitely more orange than red to me.

However, this is what I got with the color picker in Paint Shop Pro when I clicked on the flower.



More red than I thought it would be.

I think this plant is a:
Scarlet globemallow (Sphaeralcea coccinea)
Also called Red False Mallow (Sphaeralcea coccinea)

Note comment on leaves:
The hairy gray-green leaves are highly dissected and rough to the touch. Under magnification the leaves look like cacti because each stiff hair has five radiating branches.

The Mallow Family (Malvaceae)

Google Images


And what is this, you say.
Well, I found the feather near a clump of mallow and took a pic just for kicks.
Took the feather home with me and then decided it would be a good measuring stick for scale. The feather is 8 inches long.

No comments: